In this sci-fi project, students are going to make paper mache futuristic Earths or other imaginary planets as described in science fiction. This was a cross-curricular activity based off of our Literature reading of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and a unit topic in English about the environment and recycling.
flour/starch, round balloon, water, shallow container, old newspapers, water colors/paint
1) Mix 1 cup of flour into 1 cup of water until the mixture is thin and runny to make a simple glue. No need to boil.
2) Tear/cut a lot of strips of newspaper. Strips should be about 3 inches wide; the length doesn’t really matter.
3) Blow up and tie a round balloon.
4) Dip each strip of paper in the flour glue and wrap the strip around the balloon. Have at least two layers surrounding the balloon. Let it dry after each layer.
5) Pop the balloon when the paper mache is dry and hard enough. It will separate from the outer paper mache coating.
6) Design the planet using water colors or paints.
7) Descriptive Writing. Describe the planets using “sense words”.