It is no secret that the younger generation today are hooked into photo sharing-apps such as Instagram. C’mon, who doesn’t “Instagram” these days? That is why using the concept of Instagram is one awesome way to engage students in the lesson, topic or theme. With a little creativity, teachers can also bring the visual power of photos into the classroom!
There are many ways teachers could use “Instagram” in the classroom. The following are some simple suggestions that could turn a sleepy lesson into an exciting activity!
- A back to school getting to know you activity. Let student introduce themselves with a short bio and some tidbits about themselves, their hobbies and interests.
- Let students explore their identities and the world world around them. Encourage students to use creativity and share thoughts, opinions and social commentary via images.
- Let students curate photos around a hashtag related to the topic or share photos along a classwork related theme.
- Draw a picture of an event or place in history.
- Post regular challenges for each unit or chapter. Students can use images that meet those challenges.
- Have students create a photo essay.
- Draw a few pictures from a character’s perspective or draw a setting or scene from a book.
- Challenge students to write a 6 word, 10 word, or 20 word story based on a photo.
- Let students act like photojournalists and let them cover an school event or celebration. Have them describe it in a series of images within their collages.
This printable package includes 2 different Instagram templates that can be used for the activities above and for any subject! Use this engaging material with either 1 large Instagram post with a comment or 9 smaller posts for a series of photos. Use the ready-to-print PDF file or the re-sizable image version.
3 designs. 10 pages.